The university offers a number of health plan options: a managed care plan, a health maintenance organization (HMO), a preferred provider organization (PPO), and a traditional “fee-for-service” plan. The health plan options differ in the benefit levels they provide, the doctors and hospitals you can use, and the cost to you. You can make the best choice from the available plans sponsored by the university by learning about the various options offered.
When deciding which health plan will work best for your individual and family needs, you will want to review the following areas of each plan:
• Services that are covered (annual physicals, preventive care, etc.)
• Out-of-pocket costs (annual deductibles, co-pays, or post deductible co-insurance)
• Providers that participate in the plan (PCP’s, doctors, and hospitals)
• Referrals and prior approval requirements, including while traveling
• Location of medical facilities in relation to your home or work